Finance has always been an attractive field for new professionals. Lately, career prospects in finance have significantly increased with the introduction of international trade and investment options. Whether you’re aiming for local, national or multinational corporations to work with, a career in finance is one of the most sought after.
Read on for the top 10 career options in finance.
Top 10 Best Career Options in Finance
A career in finance is not just lucrative but comes with exciting professional challenges. Mentioned below are the top 10 career options you must look into if you are seeking a profession in finance:
1. Corporate Finance
A career in corporate finance implies you hold an important role in investment decisions, determine funding sources, and manage capital. Corporate finance has gained massive popularity, and professionals are hired for senior and junior-level posts based on their education, skills and competence.
- Job Role: Design business strategies, review financial statements
- Qualification: An MBA in Finance can open new doors in corporate finance. A Chartered Financial Analyst course can be a more cost-effective option.
- Salary: Rs. 9.6 LPA
- Hiring Companies: American Express, Hero FinCorp, Godrej and Boyce Manufacturing
2. Portfolio Management
As a Portfolio Manager, your role is to scrutinise the investment choices of your clients. Furthermore, a Portfolio Manager advises clients on investment policies and asset allocation and informs them about investment risks.
- Job Role: Implement investment strategies, create and manage client portfolio
- Qualification: The Portfolio Manager role is well-suited for you if you have an educational background in Accounting, Economics, or Business Administration. A CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) course can help you in a career as a Portfolio Manager.
- Salary: Rs. 7 LPA
- Hiring Companies: Capgemini, Mahindra & Mahindra Financial Services, Investors Clinic
3. Investment Banking
Investment banking is one of the most prominent careers in finance. Not only does it entail attractive salary packages, but a profession in investment banking is challenging, allowing you to improve your skills along the way. As an Investment Banker, you must have an expansive knowledge of trading and stockbroking, asset allocation and equity research.
- Job Role: Provide sound investment advice and strategies, supervise mergers, acquisitions, et al.
- Qualification: Candidates with an MBA in Finance are preferred for this role.
- Salary: Rs. 11.5 LPA
- Hiring Companies: Axis Bank, JP Morgan Chase, BNY Mellon
4. Asset Management
Being an Asset Manager is a wise career option for those with a flair for management. Asset Managers handle clients’ funds, assist them in making profitable investments and help plan financial goals depending on their objectives. The primary role of an Asset Manager is to help diversify their clients’ profiles based on assets like real estate, intellectual or financial property, goodwill or patents.
- Job Role: Trade, manage and invest assets, advise clients on asset acquisition
- Qualification: Usually, candidates with degrees like MA in Economics, MS Finance or MBA in Finance are preferred for a role in asset management.
- Salary: Rs. 5.56LPA
- Hiring Companies: Kotak Mahindra Bank, Wipro, HDFC Bank
5. Finance Scholars and Professors
As a Finance Scholar, you need to conduct objective studies of market trends and analyse economic conditions for personal research. Being a professor is also a respectable and rewarding career opportunity that allows you to guide finance enthusiasts through undergraduate, postgraduate and PhD courses.
- Job Role: Educate students about finance, conduct and publish research papers in peer-reviewed journals
- Qualification: A candidate with an MBA in Finance or a postgraduate degree in Commerce and Business can opt for a career as a Finance Scholar or Professor.
- Salary: Rs. 8.1LPA
- Hiring Companies: BMS College of Engineering, Administrative Management College, Institute of Management Bhubaneshwar
6. Public Accounting
If you are good with applied commerce and do not shy away from challenges, a role in public accounting is perfect for you! Being a Public Accountant allows you to regulate the flow of funds and revenue within an organisation.
- Job Role: Advise clients on financial matters, create financial reports, prepare and file tax documents
- Qualification: Degrees like M. Com and MBA in finance are desirable for public accountant positions. An advanced educational degree, like the US Certified Public Accountant, will also help highlight your profile.
- Salary: Rs 695,152 LPA
- Hiring Companies: Axis Bank, Team Lease, Citigroup
7. Commercial Banking
Commercial banks employ individuals to host their clients and offer services related to savings and current accounts, loans, debit and credit cards, and more. As a Commercial Banker, you will fill the posts of banking associates, credit analysts, banking tellers, account managers or branch managers.
- Job Role: Market banks to bring in new clients, manage corporate, government and institutional bank accounts, connect clients with lenders
- Qualification: If you prefer a career as a Commercial Banker, you can get your profile started with an MBA degree.
- Salary: Rs. 9 LPA
- Hiring Companies: State Bank of India, JP Morgan Chase, Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank
8. Financial Planning
Financial Planners are crucial for any organisation. Financial Planners help organisations and investors optimise their financial stability. The role of Financial Planners involves analysing financial statements and records to determine the cash flow in and out of the organisation. If you have the required educational qualification, you can apply as a Financial Planner in asset management companies and non-banking financial organisations.
- Job Role: Minimise costs, advise clients on personal budgets and savings objectives
- Qualification: A CFP (Certified Financial Planner) certification can help your career in financial planning.
- Salary: Rs. 3.76 LPA
- Hiring Companies: Fincart, Befree Business Resourcing, Bajaj Capital
9. Compliance and Internal Control
If you believe in your administrative skills, you must try your luck in compliance and internal control. Managers involved with compliance and internal control are responsible for all procedures involving professional ethics, standards and laws. As an Internal Control Manager, you might be responsible for various aspects, such as contracts, grants and gifts. They are also in charge of maintaining transparency between parties and preventing risks like fraudulent transactions and procedures.
- Job Role: Review all accounting or financial statements, make revisions or adjustments to existing business structure
- Qualification: Advanced commerce degrees, like a specialised MBA, can help you with a compliance and internal control career.
- Salary: Rs. 26 LPA
- Hiring Companies: Dishman Carbogen Amcis, Kellogg Brown And Root, ABB Group
10. Credit Analysis
The role of a Credit Analyst has become popular in recent times. Credit Analysts analyse risk factors in investments that can influence credit grants. As a Credit Analyst, you must assess the client’s financial model based on past savings, credit, income, assets and liabilities.
- Job Role: Review all financial statements, assess the client’s ability to comply with financial obligations
- Qualification: An entry-level position as a Credit Analyst requires an undergraduate degree in Business and Commerce.
- Salary: 4.68LPA
- Hiring Companies: Ujjivan Small Finance Bank, Barclays Investment Bank, ICICI Bank
US CMA (Certified Management Accountant) is one of the most prestigious certifications awarded to financial professionals and accountants. The Institute of Management Accountants (IMA), USA also grants ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants), CPA (Certified Public Accountant) and CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) certifications to meritorious candidates.
If you are an aspiring finance professional, these certifications are just what you need to take your career to new heights. Not only are these certifications convenient, but they broaden your career options in finance. After certification, you can look for a fruitful career from the abovementioned list. We at Zell Education are here to guide you through the admission procedure. Contact us to learn more.
What are the careers in finance?
The world of finance is diverse, with several career options to choose from. If you are looking for a profession in finance, the most popular careers include corporate finance and public banking, credit and financial planning, and asset management.
What is the highest paying job in finance?
The salary structure in finance-related careers depends on an individual's academic qualifications and professional competence. However, you will likely be offered a better compensation package as an investment banker or a financial or credit analyst. A CMA certification can also help you land a job with a higher salary package.
What are the 4 career pathways in finance?
The four career pathways in finance include banking and related services, business financial management, financial and investment planning, and insurance services.
How do I choose a career in finance?
Choosing a career in finance is mainly based on your educational qualification and certification in finance. In addition, you can also choose your career based on your aptitude in analytical and decision-making skills and administrative abilities.